While vacation rental cleaning is still the #1 headache for hosts; if not done properly, it most certainly will lead to bad reviews. Here are the two most common issues related to vacation rental cleaning that will lead to bad reviews:
“When I arrived, the vacation rental hadn’t been cleaned.”
“The vacation rental wasn’t clean enough.”
While TurnoveBnB can certainly help with the first issue with our free scheduling software, issue #2 involves managing expectation with your cleaner. Having a cleaning checklists for your short-term rental cleaner is a must.
Once you master vacation rental cleaning, here’s list of other no-no’s to avoid bad reviews as a host:
1) The property was not as described
2) Uncomfortable beds/sheets/pillows
3) Noisy (A/C unit, road noise, refrigerator, neighbors) lead to poor sleeping conditions
4) Guests run out of stuff – toilet paper / paper towel / etc.
5) Expected items are not there like tv or internet
6) Things that don’t work such as an advertised hot tub
7) Couldn’t access property – Have a spare key hidden in case your smart locks don’t work as anticipated
8) Worn out stuff!
9) No instructions about what to do with trash
10) Insufficient outdoor seating – guests don’t want to carry the sofa outside
11) Construction noise or inconvenience
12) Neighbor issues
13) Poor communications with the host – either before, after, or during – “there was a major problem during my stay and the owner didn’t answer my calls”
14) Terrible or no WiFi
15) Vacation rental location deception
16) Too many rules
17) Lack of privacy – if you’re sharing the space with your guests, make sure they have some privacy
18) No refund with no explanation
19) No plunger – come on, they’re cheap enough
While not all the issues above are preventable, most are. Have you received a negative review before?